13 Oct 2008
The public demonstration in Carrick-on-Suir this past Saturday (about the fact that the Town Council is bloody-mindedly preventing traders from taking up tenancy in an already completed retail park at one end of town because it wants to develop a shopping centre in a flood plain at the other end of town) was a massive success. Not just the organisers but the ordinary people of Carrick-on-Suir themselves – about a thousand of them I’d say in all – deserve a lot of credit for giving up a Saturday afternoon and having the courage to march against Council beligerence for something they know is right. It was especially refreshing to see people who wouldn’t in a million years normally put themselves before a microphone, standing on the dais and speaking up for their community.

Mattie McGrath, T.D., and Councillor Sylvia Cooney-Sheehan, both of Fianna Fail (the top brass of which, I understand, wasn’t crazy about either of them making a public spectacle of themselves on this matter), displayed genuine sincerity in their support of the community’s position. They have my respect – it’s not an easy thing to do.

But Fine Gael’s Senator Paudie Coffey was abso-effin-lutely something else – I don’t think I’ve ever before seen a senior politician in this country speak the truth with such conviction. It was an immense, really immense, performance. I wouldn’t take any odds on him stealing John Deasy’s Dáil seat  out from under him the next election on his rapid route to much higher things.

Town Councillors Denis Landy, Patsy Fitzgerald, Josephine Waters, Liam Walsh, Patsy Murphy, David Shee and Jim Drohan were unfortunately absent from Saturday’s event. Happily they’ll have a second chance to show how much they value the people they represent this evening when, at a Council meeting, they’ll be given an opportunity to support a motion of variation to the development plan which will finally allow the already built retail park in Tinvane to take in tenants. I’ll keep you posted.

By the way – has anyone got any photographs from Saturday? If you do send them on to me.

Tuesday, 14 October 2008 09:22:23 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
The councilors voted AGAINST THE MOTION last night!! This is A SCANDAL. They said NO ONE WEAS AT THE MARCH SATURDAY!!!
PW
Tuesday, 14 October 2008 10:50:25 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
I know. I heard that the seven Councillors who were absent from Saturday's march voted against their community last night. As soon as I get a chance to put something together, I'll put up a post about it later.

There were plenty of people taking photographs last Saturday - can anyone send a picture on to me? I wasn't able to get a good idea of numbers from the staps because a lot of people were blocked from view. All I can say is there were a lot of people on that march.
Garry
Tuesday, 14 October 2008 14:15:14 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Is it Fianna Fail policy for a councillor to ask a fellow councillor to support him for a position on a committee and then to renege on the deal and stab his fellow councillor in the back in a motion that he supported and then voted against. If a person does not have their word they have nothing, hardly the ideal quality of a town councillor.
roma
Tuesday, 14 October 2008 16:03:05 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
It seems our spineless councillors have made a fantastic effort to sink to a new low by the actions of a particular councillor last night. It sad to see that their only policy is to stick together to please an unfit town manager, their short memories fail to make them realise they were elected by the people to represent the people in what they want for their town. Opportunities like Heatons for Carrick would be embraced by logical thinking people but it just seems that the gift of logic is not a requirement for a councillor nowadays. WHAT A DISGRACE!
Sinead
Tuesday, 14 October 2008 21:12:25 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
I was outside town hall last night hoping someone would let me in. Seems like I missed a lot - Is it true that a certain, eh, PM did a deal to second the motion to allow Heatons into the Tinvane site in return for a job on the UDC? And then, when his job was guaranteed, he announced that he was only seconding the 'big motion' just so he could get his job and wasn't prepared to vote for the motion he seconded? Was it actually as brass necked as that?
Garry
Tuesday, 14 October 2008 23:37:05 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
It was a very disappointing night for Carrick on Suir last night, and more worryingly a very sad night for local politics and our local council. When you see a local council and it's mute councillors (all but one)being led and or driven by those who should only advise instead of the councillor's taking the lead it is a very worrying time for Carrick on Suir. This is more like a dictatorship then what the people of Carrick need, Democracy, the voice of the people. This was, in the main, ignored last Saturday. What disappoints me most is that none of the elected representatives have the b**ls to stand up publicly and say why they are so adamant that this variation to this particular planning permission in their view (if they have one)should not be passed. Carrick needs jobs now not more pie in the sky promises of a bright future in five years time. This is not going to go away and the jobless of Carrick on Suir will make sure of that. This is one issue that will come back to haunt those who decided to abstain on Saturday last and spurned a real opportunity for Carrick on Suir on Monday Night. Least we forget here are their names Denis Landy, Patsy Fitzgerald, Josephine Waters, Liam Walsh, Patsy Murphy, David Shee and Jim Drohan. Ladies and Gentlemen of the council you are the weakest link.
Seamus
Wednesday, 15 October 2008 08:27:07 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Seamus, do you have any idea what's going on here? Why are six councillors being led by the nose? What part of the puzzle is missing?
Garry
Thursday, 16 October 2008 23:33:14 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
I don't believe i have ever seen this council so united against a project, any project, like they were against this particular project. Even both the labour Cllrs who would normally fight to the death to create or protect jobs were against this motion. Complete cross party agreement, even the only other female Cllr. voted against the motion and in doing so, against the only other female on the council. What is also unusual is that nobody tried to save the proposed jobs by offering any kind of an alternative, relocate to the town center or whatever. Not one Cllr. with the exception of Cllr Cooney Sheehan, had a plan B. Their only plan and it seems a united plan was to stop the motion being carried.
Seamus
Friday, 17 October 2008 19:34:39 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
So, Seamus, what's going on? I can't understand it. I just can't understand it. If its not material you can post, send me an email.
Garry