13 Oct 2008
I’m seeking a nomination from the Fine Gael Party to run in next year’s local elections in the East Clare Constituency. The Party will hold a convention in Killaloe next Monday night, October 20th, to select their nominees. As you all know, the constituency boundaries were seriously re-jigged following the Boundary Commission's report last summer, so the road map is very uncertain. All I can say is that the redefined East Clare is now a six seat constituency, there are two sitting Fine Gael councillors and both will presumably run again. I understand a third individual (besides myself) is hoping to get the nod from FG to allow him to run as an official candidate. If it’s decided that four people will be allowed stand for Fine Gael in the contituency, I believe I’ll be included. If only three are allowed run, I’ll have to battle it out for the third place.

My issues are:
  • Immediate improvement of the planning service as it stands so that applicants are treated with courtesy and respect
  • Root and branch restructuring of the entire planning system to ensure quality, democracy and fairness as well as a better environment
  • The power to generate and enact Development Plans to be delegated to local communities
  • Radical reform of the local authority system to create directly elected mayors, with genuine executive powers
  • Control of the school building programme to be shifted to local communities
Wish me luck.

Monday, 13 October 2008 19:24:13 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
No better man! Go for it!
Monday, 13 October 2008 21:46:30 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Great Blog enjoy reading it, best of luck with your campaign, just curious about your remark re elected mayor, if the power i splaced in a single person as a directly elected mayor will this not diminish the power of the councillors after all why go to a councillor if you can go to a mayor, just looking fo ryour views on that
Paddy
Tuesday, 14 October 2008 07:42:49 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Paddy, I favour the US system of local government which is very similar to the way any corporate body is set up. Put very simply, the Major is the Executive, The Council is the Legislature. The Council make the rules, the Mayor enacts them. The Major may, of course, have certain powers assigned to him (promoting the town, attracting new business, getting development plans up and running, coordinating with central Government, etc.). The Major and his officials would be paid well for their time - they'd essentially replace the Town Manager and his team of Directors of Services.

If we had a set up such as this one, we wouldn't, for example, be facing the situation we have in Carrick On Suir at the moment.
Garry
Tuesday, 14 October 2008 09:20:34 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Is this teh end of the Killaloe FF mafia? Chase the rats out of town!
KillaloeMan
Tuesday, 14 October 2008 09:46:41 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Garry,

I am disappointed in you. Was this always your agenda ? Are you really concerned about planning issues or were you just using it as a platform to get into politics.

Anyway, i suppose the we will have to wait and see if you continue your blogs etc after you get elected. You will make a fine canditate. I just wish you were up front with your motives.

Richard
Richard
Tuesday, 14 October 2008 10:01:17 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Richard, can you not see the points he's running on? Improvement of the PLANNING service. Root and branch restructuring of the PLANNING system. Giving DEVELOPMENT PLANS back to the people.

Everyone around here knows he's pushing for change to planning for a long time. If you knew anytning about him youd know its all he ever talks about.
KillaloeMan
Tuesday, 14 October 2008 10:07:51 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
What else are you supposed to do if you want to change the planning system? Garry, stand up and be counted. Its about time people got from behind their computer screens and tried to make a difference.
PaulH
Tuesday, 14 October 2008 12:51:16 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Garry

You realise you will have to tow the party line now, dont you?

No more anti-Lisbon rants etc..

Are we still going to get the same opinionated views or are they going to become more 'Endafied'.. ie dull!

Good luck
Eamonn
Wednesday, 15 October 2008 08:32:50 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
(Psst. Eamon. Keep your voice down on the Lisbon rants! Anyway, they weren't really rants, were they? And sure it was ages ago now, wasn't it? And anyway I've changed my mind about the whole thing - Lisbon's fiiiine.)

Yep. I keep hoping that the party brass don't happen across my blog before next week's convention! On the other hand... who gives a
Garry
Monday, 03 November 2008 13:07:52 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Garry

I'm disappointed in you. You've joined the six of one rather than the half dozen of the other party. An independent stands on issues and principles, a party affiliate stands on the promise of power.

Fintan
fintan duffy
Monday, 03 November 2008 22:41:38 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Hi Fintan. I might end up running as an independent if FG decide not to back me. I hope not, though. I'm not convinced about the contribution of indepedents/small parties to wider society. Being seen to have radical or different views is easy. Communicating radical of different views to the wider community is hard - but, at the end of the day, what its all about.
Garry
Thursday, 06 November 2008 19:03:05 (GMT Standard Time, UTC+00:00)
Well done Garry, believe me when I say you are the last type of person any planning department will want as an elected rep!
Killian